The Independent Investigation Unit (IIU) investigates all serious incidents involving police officers in Manitoba, whether occurring on or off duty. We have jurisdiction over all police services in Manitoba, including the RCMP.
Our goal is to ensure all Manitobans trust the independence and impartiality of our work, and have confidence in our investigative findings.
Civilian Director's Message
What We Do
The IIU is called into action where it appears the actions of a police officer may have caused the death or serious injury of a person, or have contravened certain laws. The IIU may also investigate any other matter when the civilian director considers it in the public interest to do so.
Answers to frequently asked questions about the process, mandate and operations of the Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba.
- January 16, 2017 – IIU concludes investigation into WPS arrest during home invasion and serious injury to suspect
- January 13, 2017 – IIU investigating death of Brandon male
- January 12, 2017 – IIU concludes investigation into fatal police shooting involving member of WPS
- January 11, 2017 - IIU investigating injury to suspect following WPS traffic stop
- January 9, 2017 – IIU investigating following police stand-off and death near Anola
- December 7, 2016 – IIU investigating in-custody injury