The Independent Investigation Unit (IIU) investigates all serious incidents involving police officers in Manitoba, whether occurring on or off duty. We have jurisdiction over all police services in Manitoba, including the RCMP.
Our goal is to ensure all Manitobans trust the independence and impartiality of our work, and have confidence in our investigative findings.
Civilian Director's Message
What We Do
The IIU is called into action where it appears the actions of a police officer may have caused the death or serious injury of a person, or have contravened certain laws. The IIU may also investigate any other matter when the civilian director considers it in the public interest to do so.
Answers to frequently asked questions about the process, mandate and operations of the Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba.
- March 24, 2017 – IIU concludes investigation into injury during arrest in Portage la Prairie
- March 2, 2017 – RCMP officer charged following IIU investigation into officer-involved shooting in Thompson
- February 24, 2017 – Final Report Now Available - IIU concludes investigation into serious injury incident in Gimli area (News Release June 28, 2016)
- February 17, 2017 – IIU investigating in-custody injury on Oxford House First Nation
- February 15, 2017 – Brandon officers charged with driving offences following IIU investigation