The Independent Investigation Unit (IIU) investigates all serious incidents involving police officers in Manitoba, whether occurring on or off duty. We have jurisdiction over all police services in Manitoba, including the RCMP.
Our goal is to ensure all Manitobans trust the independence and impartiality of our work, and have confidence in our investigative findings.
Civilian Director's Message
What We Do
The IIU is called into action where it appears the actions of a police officer may have caused the death or serious injury of a person, or have contravened certain laws. The IIU may also investigate any other matter when the civilian director considers it in the public interest to do so.
Answers to frequently asked questions about the process, mandate and operations of the Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba.
- June 28, 2016 – IIU concludes investigation into serious injury incident involving Gimli RCMP
- May 24, 2016 - IIU investigating police pursuit and motor vehicle collision
- May 20, 2016 - UPDATE: IIU seeks witnesses to police pursuit and shooting
- May 20, 2016 - IIU Investigating motor vehicle pursuit and shooting near Portage la Prairie
- April 28, 2016 - IIU investigating following alleged assault by two officers
- April 22, 2016 - IIU investigating following injury at Main Street Project