The Independent Investigation Unit (IIU) investigates all serious incidents involving police officers in Manitoba, whether occurring on or off duty. We have jurisdiction over all police services in Manitoba, including the RCMP.
Our goal is to ensure all Manitobans trust the independence and impartiality of our work, and have confidence in our investigative findings.
Civilian Director's Message
What We Do
The IIU is called into action where it appears the actions of a police officer may have caused the death or serious injury of a person, or have contravened certain laws. The IIU may also investigate any other matter when the civilian director considers it in the public interest to do so.
Answers to frequently asked questions about the process, mandate and operations of the Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba.
- July 18, 2016 - IIU investigating WPS arrest - Suspect hospitalized with serious injury
- July 15, 2016 IIU concludes investigation into RCMP-involved fatality on Peguis First Nation
- July 4, 2016 IIU concludes investigation into alleged police assault in Brandon
- June 28, 2016 – IIU concludes investigation into serious injury incident involving Gimli RCMP
- May 24, 2016 - IIU investigating police pursuit and motor vehicle collision